Did you know that some of the most common ingredients used in organic vegetable/fruit production include crushed bone, animal blood, and fish? Although it is probably impossible to be completely non-violent in all of our activities, we attempt to practice ahimsa (non-violence) to the best of our ability. We are committed to avoiding the use of compost fertilizers which contain such ingredients from the meat industry, and instead use organic, composted cow manure.
"Ahimsa is not mere negative non-injury. It is positive, cosmic love. It is the development of a mental attitude in which hatred is replaced by love. Ahimsa is true sacrifice. Ahimsa is forgiveness. Ahimsa is Sakti (power). Ahimsa is true strength." - Sivananda
Hydroponics. Microgreens. Community Supported Agriculture.
Gopal’s Pantry is a farm dedicated to providing fresh, organically and hydroponically grown food to our local community through farmer’s markets, Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) and so on. Empowering and educating consumers about sustainable agriculture and the benefits of a ‘simple living, higher thinking’ approach to life is what drives us.
At Gopal’s Pantry, we plan on accomplishing this by:
• Using minimal tillage/digging methods
• Incorporating principles of ecology to promote biodiversity
• Selling to local residents and businesses
• Not using harmful pesticides, but instead using natural repellents and only when necessary
• Using mostly basic hand tools to reduce our carbon footprint
• Using non-GMO seeds
• Using natural compost instead of synthetic fertilizers
• Using a C.S.A model of distribution